How to move on foot
The historic center of Alghero is completely pedestrian , enclosed within the city walls and rather collected. It is therefore a must to explore the narrow streets of the center, from Porta a Mare to Piazza Civica, until you reach the religious heart of Alghero, the Cathedral of Santa Maria Immacolata, dating back to the sixteenth century. There is no lack of shopping opportunities , with shops selling local handicrafts and coral jewelery, ending with a walk along the Ramparts of San Marco and San Cristoforo, from which to enjoy a breathtaking view .
By public transportation
Although the historic center is only accessible on foot, for some tourists it may be necessary to use public transport to visit the city beaches . The urban bus service provides several lines that also reach the neighboring towns. This vehicle is also the cheapest, you can buy the single journey ticket, valid for 90 minutes from the obliteration and for multiple rides for € 1.00, or the day ticket for € 2.50.
Urban public transport is guaranteed by the A.R.S.T. company, 5 lines are available that connect the various areas of the city. Tickets can be purchased at authorized retailers (tobacconists and newsstands) and at the ticket office at the Giuseppe Manno Public Gardens (Via Catalogna at the corner with Via Cagliari). On board the bus, obliteration through the appropriate validators is required.
- Timetables:From 6:00 to 24:00
- single ticket / ride: One-way ticket € 1.00 (valid for 90 minutes after obliteration, allows one or more trips); Ticket on board € 1.50 (valid for 90 minutes, sold on board by the driver)
- Cost of ticket / subscription book: Day ticket € 2.50 (valid until midnight on the obliteration day)
In the center of Alghero there are two taxi parking areas , the first in Via Vittorio Emanuele 1 (Front of Public Gardens) and the second at the Port – Scalo Tarantiello (close to the walls of the ancient city). You can contact a taxi by phone or you can find them at the appropriate parking areas.
- Timetables:winter period from Sunday to Thursday from 5:00 to 1:00 in the morning, Friday and Saturday 24h on 24; summer period 24 hours a day
- Ticket price / single ride : ride starting from € 15.00
Rental a Car
In Alghero there are a large number of operators in the rental sector. Some of them are located directly inside the “Alghero Riviera del Corallo” airport, giving you the opportunity to find the car ready at the moment of your arrival.